Agenda and minutes

Cabinet
Thursday 3rd December 2020 6.00 pm

Venue: Virtual meeting

Contact: Jane Game  Democratic Services Officer

Items
No. Item

1.

Apologies

Minutes:

None received.

2.

Declaration of Interest

To receive declarations of interest from Members.

Minutes:

Cllr Sleigh advised Cabinet that in relation to item 7 on the agenda he was Chairman of the WMCA Investment Board.

3.

Questions and Deputations

To answer any questions, if any asked by any resident of the Borough pursuant to Standing Orders.

Minutes:

None received.

4.

Minutes pdf icon PDF 266 KB

To receive for information only the minutes of the previous meeting held on 5 November 2020.

Minutes:

The minutes of the meeting held on 5 November 2020 were presented for information only.

 

RESOLVED:

That the minutes of the meeting held on 5 November 2020 be received for information.

5.

MEDIUM TERM FINANCIAL STRATEGY UPDATE (CORPORATE CAPITAL PROGRAMME 2020/21) pdf icon PDF 179 KB

The purpose of the report is to:

Ø  outline the current financial position for the 2020/21 corporate capital programme.;

Ø   seek approval to rephase capital budgets into 2021/22 as detailed in Appendix A to the report;

Ø  seek approval for the revised capital programme for 2020/21 after the rephasing as detailed in Appendix B to the report;

Ø  seek approval for the Housing Revenue Account (HRA) capital programme after revisions and virements for 2020/21, detailed in paragraphs 3.6 – 3.8 and Appendix C to the report;

Ø  approve the passporting of Government capital allocations for 2021/22 to individual cabinet portfolios for project allocation.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Cabinet was:

 

Ø  Presented with an outline of the current financial position for the 2020/21 corporate capital programme;

 

Ø  Invited to approve the rephasing of the capital budgets into 2021/22 as detailed in Appendix A to the report;

 

Ø  Invited to approve the revised capital programme for 2020/21 after the rephasing detailed in Appendix B to the report;

 

Ø  Invited to approve the Housing Revenue Account (HRA) capital programme after revisions and virements for 2020/21, detailed in paragraphs 3.6 – 3.8 and Appendix C to the report;

 

Ø  Invited to approve the passporting of Government capital allocations for 2021/22 to individual Cabinet Portfolios for project allocation.

 

Members were advised that current capital programme for 2020/21 was £72.419 million and included General Fund of £48.878 million and HRA of £23.541 million. For the General Fund this was an increase on the £42.622 million General Fund capital budget reported to the November Cabinet meeting as part of the Medium Term Financial Strategy Update for Period 6, as a number of additional projects had since been added to the capital programme.

 

Officers in the Financial Operations Division had worked with project managers to identify projects which could be rephased into future years. These totalled £13.601 million and were analysed by Cabinet Portfolio in paragraph 3.9, Table 1, of the report whilst individual projects were detailed at Appendix A. Cabinet Members were asked to approve the rephasing of these budgets into 2021/22 as summarised in paragraph 3.9, Table 1 and detailed in Appendix A of the report.

 

If approved the capital programme proposals detailed in paragraphs 3.6 - 3.8 and the rephasing in 3.9, Table 1, the Council’s revised corporate capital programme for 2020/21 would comprise of £39.063 million General Fund and £20.091 million for the HRA as summarised in Table 1 and detailed in Appendix B ad a revised capital programme of £59.154 million. The report also provided detail relating to Programme Approvals in the 2020/21 HRA Capital Programme.

  

RESOLVED:

 

(i)  That the rephasing of the corporate capital programme into 2021/22 as set out in the report and Appendix A be approved;

 

(ii)  That the revised corporate capital programme for 2020/21, after rephasing, as detailed in Appendix B be approved;

 

(iii)  That the HRA capital programme for 2020/21, after capital programme proposals and virements, detailed in paragraphs 3.6 – 3.8 and Appendix C be approved; and

 

(iv)  That the passporting of Government capital allocations for 2021/22 to individual Cabinet Portfolios for project allocation be approved.

6.

Shirley Economic Plan pdf icon PDF 269 KB

To update Cabinet and ask for approval to proceed with the Shirley Economic Growth Plan and identified Action Plan.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Cabinet was provided with an update and invited to approve the Shirley Economic Growth Plan and identified Action Plan.

 

The Cabinet Member for Adult Social Care and Health reminded Members that in October 2019, Cabinet had agreed to the development of a refreshed Economic Growth Plan for Shirley town centre, supported by £25,000 from the GBSLEP’s Enabling Fund for Towns and Local Centres and recognising the change in economic environment from 2017, when the first Economic Plan was produced.

 

Work was undertaken to refresh the Plan and a draft Economic Plan was developed just before the COVID-19 pandemic and its impact became apparent. As a response, a review of the draft document and its associated Action Plan and priorities was undertaken, with a further round of consultation with key businesses, stakeholders and ward members.

 

Members were advised that seven strategic themes had been identified as areas of focus as set out in section 3.5 of the report.

 

The Action Plan (Appendix 2) had  been refined to reflect priorities that were most applicable within the next 12 months during the high street’s ‘Pre-Recovery and Recovery’ phase in response to COVID-19, and those that were longer term and fell within a ‘Transformation’ phase. Actions were also classified in terms of ‘Recovery Priority Action’ and by cost, in order to further prioritise spend and activity. Some actions had already been progressed or achieved through the activities of the Council’s Business Investment team as summarised in section 3.7 of the report. Section 3.8 of the report detailed activities that would be implemented within the next 6 months.

 

Members were advised that activity would be delivered through review with the Shirley Marketing Group and ward members, so ensuring local business and stakeholder priorities were reflected, and “Ambassadors” for each area to oversee projects were identified.

 

Members very much welcomed the report and observed that in the current climate it was difficult to predict with certainty how retail elements of town centres would fair in the future. It was therefore important that the Council had structures in place to react to market changes, tracked trends, embraced digital engagement and be as supportive as possible.

 

The Cabinet Member and Officers responded to a number of questions concerning the amount of investment, involvement of stakeholders and the impact of a potential housing development on retail in the area. The Cabinet Member also confirmed that a further Shirley Bid proposal had not been ruled out but all options would be explored with stakeholders including businesses.

 

 

RESOLVED:

 

(i)  That the principles and adoption of the refreshed Shirley Economic Growth Plan be agreed;

 

(ii)  That the priorities identified within the associated Action Plan, including the short term ‘Pre Recovery’ and ‘Recovery’ activities and projects to support the area be agreed; and

 

(iii)  That the drawdown of the next stage of funding from the Greater Birmingham and Solihull Local Enterprise Partnership (GBSLEP) of £25,000 to support the delivery of the Action Plan, alongside the use of allocated Council reserves and  ...  view the full minutes text for item 6.

7.

Update on Applications to Funding Bodies that Support the Council’s Priorities pdf icon PDF 186 KB

To inform the Cabinet of the progress of external funding applications on behalf of the Council and to agree the acceptance of external funding to support the delivery of the Council’s priorities.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Cabinet was:

 

Ø  Informed of the progress of external funding applications on behalf of the Council; and

 

Ø  Asked to agree the acceptance of external funding to support the delivery of the Council’s priorities.

 

Members were advised that the Council had an ambitious agenda which could not be entirely funded by the Council’s own resources. Securing the external funding supported the delivery of the Council’s Growth and Development Investment Plan. The report provided details on the individual applications as set out in the report.

 

RESOLVED:

 

(i)  That it be agreed that the following outline applications be made to the West Midlands Combined Authority (WMCA) relating to:

 

·   Project A - Simon Digby, Chelmsley Wood (application value £3m);

·   Project B – Kingshurst Village Centre (application value £1.290m)

 

(ii)  That it be agreed to submit a full application to the Greater Birmingham and Solihull Local Enterprise Partnership’s (GBSLEP) Local Growth Fund to enable the Council to acquire a Connected Autonomous Vehicle to enhance future mobility in Solihull in relation to the following:

 

·  Project C - Connected Autonomous Mobility (application value £250k)

 

(iii)  That the submission of 3 Expressions of Interest (EoI) to the GBSLEP’s Towns and Local Centre Enabling Fund be agreed for:

 

·  Project D - Place Data to Shape Place (£75k)

·   Project E - Creating Vision for Solihull’s Towns and Local Centres (£65k)

·   Project F - Visitor Economy and Cultural/Creative Strategies for Recovery and Growth (£40k).

 

(iv)  That it be noted that two applications from the Councils Urban Growth Company (UGC) have been approved by the WMCA for Projects G and H while neither funding agreement is signed, they are in the final stages of negotiation:

 

·  Project G - Multi Storey Car Park (application value £5.418m).

·   Project H - Automated People Mover (application value £5.750m.)

 

(v)  That it be noted that in addition, the UGC have submitted an application to the GBSLEP Local Growth Fund for Project I, to augment the design of the HS2 led roundabout at the junction of NEC Northway and Bickenhill Parkway:

 

·  Project I – A452 ‘Longabout’ (application value £0.451m.)

 

(vi) That it be noted that the Council scheme of delegation will be followed in conjunction with the relevant Cabinet Member.

8.

Kingshurst Village Centre Regeneration pdf icon PDF 241 KB

The purpose of the report is to:

Ø  provide an update on progress on the regeneration of Kingshurst Village Centre, particularly in relation to the community pilot and the Inclusive Growth Outcomes Framework; and

Ø  seek approval of the use of Compulsory Purchase Powers to acquire all remaining land interests within the Kingshurst Village Centre Masterplan boundary, to enable the delivery of the Village Centre regeneration.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Cabinet was:-

 

Ø  Provided with an update on progress on the regeneration of Kingshurst Village Centre, particularly in relation to the community pilot and the Inclusive Growth Outcomes Framework; and

 

Ø  Invited to approve the use of Compulsory Purchase Powers to acquire all remaining land interests within the Kingshurst Village Centre Masterplan boundary, to enable the delivery of the Village Centre regeneration.

 

Members were reminded that the aim of the Kingshurst project was to transform the village centre and deliver change to support a thriving community and successful health-led regeneration scheme. Cabinet had previously received regular progress updates on the regeneration of Kingshurst Village Centre, most recently in December 2019. In addition, in principle approval had been given by Cabinet to use compulsory purchase powers to facilitate the delivery of the Scheme.

 

The report before Members set out the latest position and what action was required to progress the scheme further.

 

Members supported the progress being made with this project and were pleased that the commitment the Council had made some time ago to complete this scheme was being meet.

 

Members also stressed the importance they placed on the health and wellbeing elements of the scheme, including the infrastructure to support this and the need to press the CCG to confirm their financial commitment to the scheme.

 

Members were advised that with regard to the new housing the Council was aiming for a high level of sustainability with an aspiration of net zero carbon with enhanced environmental standards.

 

RESOLVED:

 

(i)  That the latest progress on the development of the Masterplan be noted and approved:

 

(a)  The principles of the delivery strategy for Kingshurst Village Centre as set out in section 4.5 of the report; and

 

(b) The principles for the funding strategy as set out in section 6.3 of the report.

 

(ii)  That in relation to the acquisition of land:

 

(a)  Authorised the Council to make and advertise a Compulsory Purchase Order (“the CPO”) for the land shown coloured pink (“the Site”) on the plan contained at Appendix 1 (“the CPO Plan”), under Section 226(1)(a) of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990, because it thinks that:

 

·  The acquisition of the land will facilitate the carrying out of development, redevelopment or improvement on or in relation to the land; and

 

·  Such development, redevelopment or improvement of the land is likely to contribute to the promotion or improvement of the economic, social or environmental well-being of its area.

 

(b)  Authorised the Solicitor to the Council to take all necessary steps to secure the making (including making such further amendments to the draft Statement of Reasons, the draft Schedule and the draft Plan as are necessary), confirmation and implementation of the CPO, including the publication and service of all relevant notices, the presentation of the Council’s case at any Public Inquiry and resolution of any compulsory purchase compensation claims including, if necessary, by way of making (or responding to) a reference to the Upper Tribunal (Lands Chamber);

 

(c)  Approved the advertising of  ...  view the full minutes text for item 8.

9.

Update to HRA Capital Programme pdf icon PDF 338 KB

To seek Cabinet approval for an update to the HRA Capital Programme.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Cabinet was asked to approve an update to the HRA Capital Programme.

 

Members were informed that following the changes to Building Regulations, specifically to Approved Document B of the Building regulations, the Council had undertaken a borough wide exercise to identify any properties in its ownership that did not comply with the new regulations. As a result of these inspections, a number of residential buildings in SMBC ownership (managed by SCH) had been highlighted as requiring works in order to fully comply with the new regulations.

 

SCH had appointed PRISM Fire Risk Management to independently verify the initial findings, which showed that a number of high rise blocks had either UPVC balcony infills, frames, glazing and spandrel panels on all corners of the building (“Issue A”) or UPVC frames, glazing and spandrel panels installed vertically to external walls front and back to communal drying and chute rooms (“Issue B”), neither of which conformed to the latest regulations. As this was a HRA capital programme item, it was proposed that SCH proceed with commissioning a suitable contractor to undertake the replacement works required.

 

The report detailed the reasons for pursuing option 2 in relation to this work, and Members were briefed by the Chief Executive of SCH on how the consultation with residents would be undertaken.

 

Members confirmed that they supported option 2 as they felt this was right approach for the Council to take as the safety of residents was imperative. It was also noted this work would improve the thermal capacity of the buildings and help with utility costs.

 

 

RESOLVED:

It was agreed that the HRA Capital Programme is revised and the associated prudential borrowing is supported as set out in the report.

10.

Exclusion of the Public and Press

The meeting is likely not to be open to the public during discussion of the following items because the reports contain exempt information as defined in Schedule 12A to the Local Government Act 1972

Minutes:

RESOLVED:

That, pursuant to Section 100A (4) of the Local Government Act 1972, the press and public be now excluded from the meeting for the remainder of the business to be transacted, on the grounds that there would be disclosure to them of exempt information in terms of paragraph 3 of Part 1 of Schedule 12A to the said Act.

 

 

11.

Private Appendices Relating to Kingshurst Village Centre Regeneration Report

The private appendices relate to the public report item 8 on the agenda Kingshurst Village Centre Regeneration.

Minutes:

The private appendices were noted.

12.

Private Appendix - Relating to the Update to the HRA Capital Programme

The private appendix relates to the public report item 9 on the agenda Update to the HRA Capital Programme.

Minutes:

The private appendix was noted.