Agenda and minutes

HS2 Implementation Advisory Group - Thursday 27th July 2023 6.00 pm

Venue: Civic Suite

Contact: James Hughes  Democratic Services


No. Item


Election of Chairman for 2023/2024

Additional documents:


The following nomination was received and seconded:

Councillor A Burrow.



That Councillor A Burrow be elected Chairman for the 2023/24 Municipal Year.


(Councillor A Burrow now having taken the Chair).


Appointment of Vice-Chairman for 2023/2024

Additional documents:


The following nomination was received and seconded:

Councillor T Dicicco.



  That Councillor T Dicicco be appointed Vice-Chairman for the 2023/24.


Apologies & Substitutions

To receive any apologies and substitutions.

Additional documents:


Councillor B Sleigh OBE – Councillor L Kaye substitute.


Declarations of Interest

To receive notification of any declarations of pecuniary and /or conflict of interests from Members.

Additional documents:


There were no declarations of interest.


Questions & Deputations pdf icon PDF 110 KB

To answer questions and hear deputations, if any, asked by any resident of the Borough pursuant to Standing Orders (Item 12).


A reminder that deputations wishing to be heard shall send to the Chief Executive by 12 noon on the day before the meeting their desire to attend, a notice in writing stating the nature and object of the application or representation proposed to be made.


Please note that the purpose of the HS2 Implementation Advisory Group does not extend to:

·  The review of the principle of or business case for HS2

·  The merits or otherwise of HS2 related applications submitted for determination by Solihull MBC as Local Planning Authority or Local Highway Authority.


Please can you ensure that your deputation is not related to any of these issues.


Additional documents:


A deputation was received from Mr Lloyd, a local resident, who raised the following points on potential Overbridge options:

  • Overbridge – the 1960s look.
  • The 21st Century style.
  • Potential detail features.
  • Further options for other overbridges – including suitability for location, safety for pedestrians, coloured or patterned barriers and windows.
  • Safety oversight arrangements.


After the presentation by Richard Lloyd, the IAG asked HS2 Ltd to consider the following ideas within their consideration of design options for overbridges within the borough:

  suitability for location

  visual impact

  viewpoint for pedestrians

  safety for equestrians

  BHS guidelines

  sight screening

  noise screening

  The use of colour or pattern within barriers

  windows within the barriers to allow pedestrians to see the trains.


The Head of Highway Management confirmed that road safety was considered at all stages with Schedule 4 applications, including pre-design, detailed designed, bringing into use and routinely thereafter.



Minutes pdf icon PDF 186 KB

To receive the minutes from the last meeting.

Additional documents:


The minutes of the meeting held on 15th March 2023 were presented.



  That the minutes of the meeting held on 15th March be approved.


Main Programme Update pdf icon PDF 3 MB

To receive an update on the main programme from HS2 Ltd.

Additional documents:


Jonathon Lord, HS2 Ltd and Andy De Bell, Balfour Beatty, presented the Main Programme Update as set out in the Agenda Pack.


Members raised queries and observations which, in summary, included the following:

·  A Member raised a number of points in regard to the River Blythe Viaduct, which included the following:

¾  They highlighted the recent face-to-face event held on River Blythe Viaduct, requesting further information. They noted all respondents were aged 45 and over, querying how further people could be engaged.

¾  The River Blythe was a site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) – they queried the measures being undertaken to address significant biodiversity loss. It was explained how Warwickshire Wildlife Trust were campaigning for a 10 percent increase in biodiversity overall.

¾  The mitigations in place to address risk of flooding from the introduction of the viaduct, including during the construction phase.

·  Andy De Bell, Balfour Beatty, responded, detailing the following:

¾  The presentation outlined feedback from a specific face-to-face event. This was a ‘you said, we did’ event to offer feedback to residents following earlier engagement events held in the community. Further engagement activity on the River Blythe viaduct had also been undertaken, included with the Parish Council, as well as site visits.

¾  The biodiversity impact was taken very seriously by the Ecological Design Team, who maintained a regular dialogue with Wildlife Trusts. It was recognised the River Blythe was a SSSI and this was being taken into account as part of the construction phase, as well as in the design of the viaduct itself. It was confirmed further reporting on this could be provided at future meetings.

¾  Flood mitigation had been included as part of the construction and design of the River Blythe viaduct. This would be included as part of the Schedule 17 application.

·  Councillor Burrow requested for a briefing on biodiversity loss mitigation to be provided, including specifically in regard to the River Blythe Viaduct and the environment ACTION.

·  A Member raised a number of queries, summarised as follows:

·  Concerns were raised about the noise caused by some construction vehicles travelling over speed bumps on Hall Meadow Road.

·  Andy De Bell, Balfour Beatty, confirmed they would look into this, in dialogue with the Council’s Highway Services. Cllr Burrow confirmed he is looking into the speed bumps, working with Paul Tovey and BBV.

·  A member observed that there was no wheel wash facility in operation at the new Hallmeadow Road connection. They asked BBV to advise when this facility could be introduced?

·  Andy De Bell, Balfour Beatty, confirmed this issue would be looked into and a response provided ACTION

·  Post meeting note – the BBV site team have confirmed that installation of the wheel was at Hallmeadow Road was completed on 27th July and was now operational.

·  Members expressed their thanks for the extension of the temporary Kenilworth Greenway. They detailed how one section was flooding and requested for this to be looked into.

·  The Member welcomed the briefing recently provided  ...  view the full minutes text for item 15.


SMBC Highways Verbal Update

To receive a verbal update from SMBC Highways on matters relating to HS2.

Additional documents:


The Head of Highway Improvement delivered a verbal update on matters relating to HS2. There were no questions.


Key Issues Tracker pdf icon PDF 466 KB

To review the Key Issues Tracker.

Additional documents:


The latest version of the key issues tracker was noted.